SUNDAY- 33st WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME –B
Gospel: Mk 13:24-32: He will gather his chosen from the four winds.
I Reading: Daniel 12:1-13: When that time comes, your own people will be spared.
II Reading: Hebrews 10:11-14. 18: By virtue of one single offering, he has achieved the eternal perfection of all whom he is sanctifying.
The Coming of the Son of Man, Mk 13:24-27
The greatest event yet to happen in the history of the world will be the return of Jesus Christ. The disciples wanted to know, “When will these things happen?” (Mk 13:4), and “What will be the sign of your coming?” (Mt 24:3). Jesus began to answer the second question about His returen in this passage.
1. He returns after the distress or tribulation (v.24)
2. Event 1: There will be astronomical happenings (v.24-25)
3. Event 2: There will be the return of the Son of Man in the clouds (v.26)
4. Event 3: There will be the gathering of the elect (v.27)
The End Time and Its Warning to Believers, Mk 13:28-37
Christ had just covered the signs of the end time and of His return. The truth is glorious but one thing is needful: people must turn their lives over to God or else they will be punished from the presence and glory of Christ forever. Jesus Christ gives six critical warnings to people.
1. The signs point to the end are discernable (v.28-29)
a. Even as a fig tree
b. Even as a cause has its effect
c. Even to the point of being immediate-right at hand
2. The events occur rapidly in one generation (v.30)
3. The events are a surety irrevocable (31)
4. The exact time is unknown-the day and hour (v.32)
5. The need is to be on guard: stay alert (v.33-36)
a. because time is unknown
b. because believers are assigned specific responsibilities and work
c. because Christ is returning unexpectedly –suddenly
d. because a believer can be caught sleeping
6. The warning is to all-watch (v.37)
Thought: Watch (gregoreo): to keep awake, to stay alert, to be watchful and sleepless, to be vigilant. It also to keep one’s attention (mind) upon a thing at all time.