PENTECOST SUNDAY- YEAR-A
I Reading: Acts 2:1-11: They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak.
II Reading: 1 Cor: In the one Spirit we were baptised.
Gospel: John 20:19-23: The Great Charter of the Church-Jesus Appears to the Disciples
The Great Charter of the Church-Jesus Appears to the Disciples
Today we celebrate the second most solemn day in the year of worship: the feast of Pentecost. The disciples meet the risen Christ on the same day at the evening and the risen Jesus serves his disciples.
The word “Pentecost” is a Greek word which means “the 50th”, in our case, “the 50th day”: for the Jews it meant the 50th day after the feast of the Passover. For us Christians, it means the feast that comes on the 50th day after Easter.
This was the first appearance of Jesus to His disciples as a group after His resurrection. What would He say and talk about? What would be the topic of conversation and the subjects covered? Whatever He chose to say would be of critical importance. It is this that John focuses upon: the subjects and the topics discussed when Jesus first appeared to the disciples.
1. The disciples were hiding in fear (v.19): They were locked up and the doors were shut which means they were protected by God.
a. Was the same day: at night
b. Discussed reports
c. Jesus appeared suddenly
2. Subject 1: The risen Lord-His presence was very real (v.19-20)
a. His message: Peace: The resurrected Jesus brings real peace and joy upon the fearful disciples. It is the reconciling peace that the world cannot give them except the Lord.
b. His wounds: Evidence: The real presence of Jesus Christ
c. His effect: Unbelievable joy and gladness when they saw Him
3. Subject 2: The great commission (v.21): The disciples/Church has been given the power and authority to proclaim the forgiveness of sins of the sinners. Penitents need repentance and conversion to come back to the Lord.
4. Subject 3: The Holy Spirit (v.22-23): The resurrected Jesus breathed on them as a sign of giving new life, new Spirit, new creation as the Lord God ‘breathed into man’s nostrils the breath(the Spirit) of Life(Genesis 2:7); and Ezekiel 37:9, breathe into these slain and they shall live’ (the vision of the Dry Bones).
The Spirit of God and the same Spirit of Jesus Christ is going to guide them and teach them everything; and finally empowering them with courage and strength to proclaim the Good News of Jesus to all. The Spirit-filled Church has the authority to continue the fourfold ministry of assurance, mission, the Holy Spirit and authority to His people today.
Do we open our doors of hearts and minds to enter Jesus into our lives to receive the real peace and joy of the risen Lord?
How do we experience the loving presence and protection of the Lord during the Pandemic lockdown Coronavirus Covid-19?
Thought: The disciple is sent forth to proclaim and bear witness to the salvation of God. The disciple is the prophet and witness of the living Lord.
· Christ is the Way; the disciple points the Way.
· Christ is the Truth; the disciple proclaims the Truth.
· Christ is the Life; the disciple shares the Life.