THURSDAY- 13TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME –A
3rd July, Feast of Saint Thomas, Apostle, Patron Saint of India
Gospel: John 20:24-29: The Great Conviction-Thomas’ Confession.
I Reading: Jeremiah 1:4-9: The Word of the Lord was addressed to me..
II Reading Eph 2:19-22: You are no longer aliens or foreign visitors..
The Great Conviction-Thomas’ Confession, 20:24-29
Thomas’ faith in Jesus Christ grew day after day; so should ours, till Christ becomes our Lord and our God forever in heaven. Faith in Christ is God’s gift; only God can give it and we must be grateful for having received it. John mentions Thomas in four occasions:
1. Thomas said to his companions during inner sufferings and conspiracy to kill Jesus when Jesus decided to go back to Jerusalem, “Let us go too and die with him.” (Jn 11:16)
2. Thomas interrupted Jesus saying: “Lord, we do not know where you are going: show how can we know the way?” (Jn 14:5)
Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.” (Jn 14:6)
3. Today’s Gospel.
4. Jesus appeared to the seven disciples and later on Jesus appeared to Thomas when all were there (Jn 20: 27; Jn 21:1-23).
i. Faith in Jesus Christ implies a total surrendered to his plans of love for us.
ii. Faith in Jesus Christ brings to us incalculable treasures.
iii. Our Faith in Christ must grow day after day.
This is excellent study on conviction and confession of Thomas, the one of the twelve disciples of Jesus.
1. Thomas’ frustrated, reactionary spirit (v.24-25)
a. The disciples testified: Thomas argued
b. The reason: Guilt-he had forsaken and withdrawn from them
2. Thomas’ false picture of Jesus (v.25)
a. He was just an earthly deliverer
b. He was now dead
c. Result: persistent doubt for eight days
3. Thomas’ critical confrontation and confession: Jesus appeared and challenged and convicted him (v.26-28)
a. The confrontation
1) Jesus was aware of Thomas’ demands
2) Jesus warned and called for belief
3) The strong confession
4. Thomas’ great lesson for all people.
Thought: To doubt is to be Christless. “Separate from Christ...without hope and without God in the world” (Eph 2:12). False pictures of Jesus lead to unbelief. Jesus is more than a great teacher, a great prophet, a great man and a great founder of religion.