The Ascension of the Lord-A
I Reading: Acts 1:1-11: He was lifted up while they looked on.
II Reading: Ephesians 1:17-23:He made Him sit at his right hand in heaven.
Gospel: Matthew 28:16-20: All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
The Messiah’s Final Commission to His Disciples, Mt 28:16-20
Matthew began his gospel by proclaiming that the baby Jesus was the Son of David, the promised King of Israel (Mt 1:1-2). He now closes his gospel by proclaiming that the Lord Jesus possesses all power and authority in heaven and earth. The Lord Jesus had risen from the dead, and in the power of His resurrection His followers are to go forth proclaiming His glorious Kingdom.
In this great message, Matthew covers the great commission of the resurrected Lord, the King to whom all power and authority belong.
1. The disciples met Jesus in Galilee (v.16-17)
a. They met on a pre-appointed mountain
b. They worshipped Him
c. Some doubted
2. He assured His followers of His power (v.18)
a. Is a given power
b. Is in heaven and earth
3. He commissioned His followers (v.19-20)
a. To make disciples of all nations
b. To baptize
c. To teach all that He had commanded
4. He promised to be with His followers (v.20)
Thought: Society deteriorates and crumbles when it neglects the teaching and commandments of Jesus Christ.
Thought: The Lord ascended to the right hand of God, that is, to the position of sovereignty and power (Mk 16:19; Lk 22:69; Acts 1:9-11;2:36;5:31;Eph 1:20; Ph 2:9-11;Rev 5:12). The ascension assures (proves, confirms) that seven things are absolutely certain.
1. The ascension assures that God is, that He is alive and does exist. The fact that Christ was raised up from the dead and taken up into heaven proves that God is. Only God could do such things.
2. The ascension assures that Christ is God’s Son.
3. The ascension assures that heaven is real (Ph 3:20-31).
4. The ascension assures that the gospel is true.
5. The ascension assures that the Great commission is the call and mission of believers.
6. The ascension assures that power is available to carry out the Great Commission (Mt 28:18; Mk 16:20).
7. The ascension assures that we have a very special Helper in heaven, One who really loves and cares for us.