I Reading: Acts 2:1-11: They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak.
II Reading: 1 Cor: In the one Spirit we were baptised.
Gospel: John 20:19-23: The Great Charter of the Church-Jesus Appears to the Disciples
The Great Charter of the Church-Jesus Appears to the Disciples
today we celebrate the second most solemn day in the year of worship: the feast of Pentecost. The word “Pentecost” is a Greek word which means “the 50th”, in our case, “the 50th day”: for the Jews it meant the 50th day after the feast of the Passover. For us Christians, it means the feast that comes on the 50th day after Easter.
This was the first appearance of Jesus to His disciples as a group after His resurrection. What would He say and talk about? What would be the topic of conversation and the subjects covered? Whatever He chose to say would be of critical importance. It is this that John focuses upon: the subjects and the topics discussed when Jesus first appeared to the disciples.
1. The disciples were hiding in fear (v.19)
a. Was the same day: at night
b. Discussed reports
c. Jesus appeared suddenly
2. Subject 1: The risen Lord-His presence was very real (v.19-20)
a. His message: Peace
b. His wounds: Evidence
c. His effect: Unbelievable joy and gladness when they saw Him
3. Subject 2: The great commission (v.21)
4. Subject 3: The Holy Spirit (v.22-23)
Thought: The disciple is sent forth to proclaim and bear witness to the salvation of God. The disciple is the prophet and witness of the living Lord.
· Christ is the Way; the disciple points the Way.
· Christ is the Truth; the disciple proclaims the Truth.
· Christ is the Life; the disciple shares the Life.