SAINT MATTHIAS, Apostle, Feast- 14th May
I Reading: Acts 1:15-17.20-26: The lot fell to Matthias and he was listed as one of the twelve apostles.
John 15:9-17: I shall not call you servants anymore; I call you friends.
Gospel: John 15:9-11: Remain in my love, and let your joy be complete.
The Relationship of Jesus to Believers, Jn 15:9-11
Jesus has a very special relationship with believer, a relationship that delivers them from an existence that is barren, empty, lonely, unmeaningful and sad.
1. He has loved believers (v.9)
2. He has one great charge for believers: Continue-abide in His love (v.9-10)
a. Abiding is conditional
b. Abiding has a standard-the obedience of Jesus
3. He has one great purpose for believers: The completion of their joy (v.11)
Thought: Jesus Christ loves us because we God’s children, brothers and sisters, the household and family of God. He also loves us because we believe God, we earnestly seek God, we obey his commands and we deny self, take up our cross and die daily in order to follow Jesus (Lk 9:23).
John 15:12-17: What I command you is to love one another.
The Relationship of Believers to Believers, Jn 15:12-17
How believers relate to other believers is of critical importance. Division will destroy a body of people quicker than any other single thing. Division can….
· Destroy the body of Christ
· Destroy the fellowship of believers
· Destroy the witness of believers
· Destroy the human soul seeking God
The relationship of believers to each other is of critical importance.
1. The supreme command of believers: Love one another (v.12)
2. The supreme standard of believers: The love of Jesus (v.12-13)
3. The supreme bond of believers: “friends” of Jesus (14-15)
a. Is conditional: “If”
b. Is based upon revelation: The words of the Father make known by Christ
4. The supreme purpose of believers: Chosen and appointed to go (v.16)
a. To go forth
b. To bear fruit
c. To receive of God
5. Conclusion: The supreme command repeated (v.17): love (agape love=sacrificial love) each other
Thought: Our love must be the sacrificial love (agape love) to love one another as God loved the world so much and gave His Son and Jesus loved us to save from sin and death by his supreme sacrifice on the cross.