Saturday after Epiphany, 12 January
I. Reading: 1John 5:14-21: Whatever we may ask, he hears us.
Gospel: John 3:22-30: The bridegroom’s friend is glad when he hears the bridegroom’s voice.
The Revelation of Jesus, The New Master, Jn 3:22-36
This passage points that Jesus Christ as the New Master, the One whom God has set before man as the only Master worthy of serving.
1. The setting for the revelation (v.22-26)
a. Jesus and His disciples were baptizing in Judaea
b. John and his disciples were baptizing close by
c. Two basic questions of life
1) who really purifies man’s heart?
2) who is the supreme Master?
2. Answer 1: Jesus alone was God’s appointed Messiah (v.27-28)
a. God alone appoints men
b. God had not appointed John as the Messiah, but as the forerunner
3. Answer 2: Jesus alone was the Bridegroom (v.29-30)
a. He is the One by whom the friend stands
b. He is the voice that is to be heard
c. He is the cause of joy
d. He is the only object of loyalty
4. Answer 3: Jesus alone was from above-from heaven (v.31)
a. Meaning: “Out of”
b. Result: Jesus is above all
5. Answer 4: Jesus alone was God’s spokesman (v.32-34)
a. He testifies
b. some reject
c. Some accept and seal His testimony
d. Proof: Sent from God and speaks God’s Word
6. Answer 5: Jesus alone had the Spirit without limit (v.34)
7. Answer 6: Jesus alone determines man’s destiny (v.35-36)
a. To believe Him brings eternal life
b. Not to obey Him brings wrath
Thought: Only Christ can cleanse and purify a man’s heart and give him true cleansing from sin.
The true servants of God are appointed to their service and ministry by God.