SATURDAY- 30th WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME –A
Gospel: Luke 14:1. 7-11: Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.
I Reading: Romans 11:1-2.11-12.25-29: Since the rejection of the Jews meant the reconciliation of the world, their admission will mean nothing less than a resurrection from the dead.
The Importance of Humility, Lk 14:7-14
Jesus taught the importance of humility in this passage.
1. Jesus attended a banquet (v.7)
a. He noticed some choosing the best seats
b. He shared a parable
2. The parable: The ambitious guest (v.8-10)
a. The first man: Seeks the place of honour
1) is displaced
2) finds all other seats already taken
3) has to take the lowest seat
4) is embarrassed
b. The second man: Takes the lowest place of honour
1) is acknowledged
2) is rewarded with the higher position
3) is honoured by all
3. The Parable’s point (v.11)
a. Self-exaltation humbles
b. Humility exalts
4. The demonstration of humility (v.12-14)
a. Humility is not serving those who can repay
b. Humility is serving those who are needy and cannot repay
c. Humility shall be rewarded
Thought: Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up (James 4:10).