4th SUNDAY OF EASTER-B
I Reading: Acts 4:8-12: This is the only name by which we can be saved.
II Reading: 1John 3:1-2: We shall see God as He really is.
Gospel: John 10:11-18: The good shepherd is one who lays down his life for his sheep.
The Good Shepherd: Jesus, the True Saviour of the World, 10:11-21
Jesus Christ claimed to be “the Good Shepherd.” He is not a bad or a false shepherd.
1. The meaning of “Good Shepherd” (v.11-13)
a. A sacrificial life
b. Not a hired or employed shepherd
1) He sees danger-acts cowardly, flees
2) He cause the sheep to be caught-in error
3) He lacks genuine care
2. The proof that Jesus is the “Good Shepherd” (v.14-16)
a. He knows His sheep
b. He knows His Father the Owner
c. He will die for His sheep
d. He works to enlarge the pen
3. The final proof is the sacrificial death and resurrection of Jesus (v.17-18)
a. The very reason God loves Him so much
b. His death was the supreme act of obedience
1) Was Voluntary
2) Was a command
4. The reaction to Jesus’ claim (v.19-21)
a. Some reject: call Jesus demon-possessed and mad
b. Some question: perhaps Jesus is who he claims
Thought: How many of us/missionaries work and die knowingly, willingly and voluntarily for the people of God as a good shepherd in the Church of Jesus Christ?