Wednesday:9th Week of the year – B
I Reading: Tobit 3:1-11.16-17: The prayer of each of them found and favour before the glory of God.
Gospel: Mark 12:18-27: He is God, not of the dead, but of the living.
The Question and Proof of the Resurrection, Mk 12:18-27
Jesus was confronted and challenged by the third group known the Sadducees. This group never believe in the resurrection of the dead and the life after death and angels in heaven. His challengers were the Sadducees, Pharisees, Scribes, the religious and political liberal of the day. Their liberal position caused two things:
1. It caused them to stumble at the spiritual and supernatural. They ridiculed and scorned both. Therefore they did not accept the teachings of Jesus.
2. Their liberal position caused them to feel threatened and to oppose Jesus. Some people were flocking to Jesus and soaking up his teachings. The Sadducees were losing their grip on the people. Their position and wealth were being jeopardized; therefore, they were compelled to attack and discredit Him before the people.
1. Sadducees attempted to discredit Jesus (v.18)
2. The resurrection is denied and scoffed at (v.19-23)
3. The resurrection is based on the Scriptures and the power of God (v.24)
4. The resurrection is different and any earthly experience: It is of another dimension (v.25)
5. The resurrection is a living relationship that cannot be broken (v.26-27)
a. God is the God of past saints
b. God is the God of the living
c. Any other belief is a great error
Thought: Two things will keep a person from error:
1) Knowing the Scriptures
2) Trusting the power of God