I Reading: 1Jn 2:12-17: Anyone who does the will of God remains forever.
Gospel: Luke 2:36-40: Anna spoke of the child to all who looked forward to the deliverance of Jerusalem.
Anna’s Praise: The Child Jesus is Praised by a Prophetess & Jesus’ Growth as a Child.
Nothing is known about Anna except here. She was the daughter of Phanuel, the place where Jacob wrestled with God face to face (Gen 32:24-30). She had descended from the tribe of Aser. She was a person of enormous devotion to God and lived as though face to face with God, ever receiving His grace and sharing His grace with others. Soon after Semion’s prediction about the child Jesus’ was the Salvation of God, now a woman, Anna bore the same witness. Both man and woman acknowledged the child to be the Messiah, the Salvation of God. Today all or every generation are urged to hope in Him for Salvation. Jesus is our hope.
1. She was a prophetess.
2. She never lost hope over many, many years.
3. She never grew bitter in the face of sorrows just after seven years of marriage became a widow and lived till eighty-four years of old.
4. She never ceased to worship God night and day. Fasting and praying.
5. She knew the child instantly and gave thanks.
6. She shared the message with all believers.
7. Jesus’ growth as a child- he was led by his parents to fulfil all the law.
8. He was reared in Nazareth.
9. He grew as a child: physically, spiritually and mentally.
10. He possessed God’s grace and wisdom.
Thought: God led Mary and Joseph to fulfil all the law for the child Messiah.