Advent: 19 December: Year B:
1st Reading: Judges 13:2-7. 24-25: The birth of Samson is announced by an angel.
Gospel: Luke 1:5-25: The birth of John the Baptist is announced by Gabriel.
Zachariah and Elizabeth, the Parents of John the Baptist: Godly Parents:
Every generation needs the example of godly parents. They were human, godly and dynamic striking examples for all today.
1. The parents of John the Baptist:
a. They lived in the time of Herod.
b. The father was a priest and the mother was of a priestly family.
2. They were parents who were righteous:
3. They were parents with human problems:
a. They had no child.
b. They were elderly.
4. They were parents who worshipped God faithfully as priest:
5. They were parents who prayed and led others to pray:
6. They were parents greatly favoured by God:
a. Their worship and prayers were favoured by a visit from an angel.
b. Their prayers were answered. They received the promise of a son.
c. Their son was to be great.
d. Their son was to be a prophet.
e. Their son was to be the forerunner of the Messiah.
7. They were parents who found it difficult to believe the humanly impossible:
8. They were parents who had to be disciplined by God:
9. They were parents who saw God fulfilled His promise:
Thought: God will not allow all man to disbelieve and distrust forever. The day is coming when he will stop all disbelief and distrust just as He did with Zachariah.