THURSDAY-3rd WEEK OF EASTER-B
I Reading: Acts 8:26-40: If you believe with all your heart, you will be baptised.
Gospel: John 6:44-51: I am the living bread which has come down from heaven.
The Way a Person Partakes of the Bread of Life, 6:41-51
How one partakes of the Bread of Life, that is, how one come s to know Jesus personally, is the focus of this passage.
1. The religionists rebelled against the claims of Jesus (v.41-43)
a. They questioned Jesus’ origin
b. They misunderstood the incarnation
c. Jesus appealed: stop grumbling
2. A person must be drown by God (v.44-46)
a. The result: he will be raised up at the last day
b. He must be taught by God (God’s part)
c. He must hear and learn trough Christ (man’s part)
1) Because no man has seen God
2) Because Christ is from God and has seen God
3. A person must believe on Christ (v.47-51)
a. Believe He is the Bread of Life
b. Believe He is “out of” heaven-has come to deliver man form death
c. Believe He is the living bread-the One who gives life to man forever
d. Believe He gives His flesh for the life of the world.
Thought: “My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world” says two things.
1) Jesus Christ came in the flesh (1 Tim 3:16; 1Jn 4:2-3).
2) Jesus Christ gave His flesh (life) for the life of the world (Heb 2:14-15; Rom 8:3; 1Pet 2:24; 3:18).