THURSDAY, OCTAVE OF EASTER
I Reading: Acts 3:11-26: You killed the prince of life. God, however, raised him from the dead.
Luke 24:35-48: It is written that the Christ would suffer and on the third day rise from the dead.
Jesus’ Appearance to the Disciples:
The Great Statements of the Christian Faith, Lk 24:36-49
This was the first appearance of Jesus to all the disciples at once. He shared the two great statements (explanations) of the Christian faith.
1. Statement 1: Jesus is risen (v.36-43)
a. Jesus’ first words: Peace
b. Jesus’ impact
1) The disciples startled and frightened
2) The disciples were troubled and questioning
c. Jesus’ proof
1) He is flesh and bones
2) He shows them his wounds
3) He talks
2. Statement 2: All Scripture must be fulfilled (v.44-49)
a. The forewarning
b. The utter necessity
c. The spiritual insight needed
d. The particular prophecies
1) Christ must suffer and arise
2) Repentance and forgiveness must be preached
3) The Holy Spirit and power must be sent
Thought: The risen Christ was not a spirit (v.39); not a vision, a phantom, a hallucination, or any other figment of man’s imagination. He was the risen Lord-bodily-not someone else nor some other spirit.